Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Tulsa, Oklahoma USA part two

Another lovely Saturday we went to tour Tulsa a bit more. Celeste wanted me to know that Williams isn't the only big name in Tulsa (she thinks it's not a one-horse town but I have heard it's the smallest "big" city in America). The public golf course at LaFortune Park was hosting a flock of visiting Canadian geese. I would have gotten closer, but they started looking at me like I was a piece of bread. Run away!






After safely escaping the geese, we went back to the downtown side of town. Downtown is seated right next to the Arkansas River. About 2 miles south of downtown, there is a pedestrian bridge crossing the river (that's downtown behind my chubby little rear end).




To the left of that view, on the west bank of the river, there are many oil tanks (again, what's with my rear end? I swear I have not been sneaking extra helpings of Celeste's homemade breads and sweets and dumplings - really!).




The Pedestrian Bridge is actually a converted railroad bridge. The rails are still on top (but not in use). Pedestrians and bicyclists traverse through underneath, and it connects to the biking/walking trails that encircle the entire city. Nifty. It's very near the founding spot of Tulsa, the Council Oak and the trading post from 1868.


Now this park (below), Woodward Park, got its name from the Creek Indian who once owned it. Although it's only 2 miles from downtown, this was once considered "too far out in the country" in 1909. This area is called "midtown" now. This little bench is a popular place for people to get their pictures professionally done, and also on the bridge below, as the hill climbing to the left is covered with azalea blooms in springtime. Celeste lived across the street from here till she was four, when her folks moved 40 miles out - now that's really far out into the country.





I got to sniff a lovely pink bloom that was as big as me! But then a giant caterpillar caught my attention instead. Maybe when he grows up he will be a sandworm of Dune. Err then again, maybe not.




After my exciting tour was over, Celeste said she would ship me onward, but I ended up spending a lot of time playing with her desk toys instead. I even solved her Rubiks Cube for her.







In just another week, Halloween was here. I tried on some costumes. The Harry Potter look may be old, but there's just something about those glasses - they really work for me.





Then I got invited to some Halloween ritual. I know Snoopy is an imaginative fellow but this séance stuff is kinda creepy (plus I was getting splashed).




I decided to hide in the candy bowl.





Soon after the Halloween party, this trebuchet kit was delivered. It took awhile to build. I helped put it together because I figured it was going to be my only way out of here!




All finished. And I got a wedding invitation! I really must be going now. Now which way to Australia? And are you sure that counterweight is going to be enough to fling me all the way across the globe?




Wheeeeeee - I am on my way!